Monday, March 17, 2008

Freedom Writers' Diaries

I finished reading the Freedom Writers' today. It was an amazing book.
The book took awhile to read, not because it was boring, but because it was so intense. Some days I could not read more than a few diary entries. I finished the last three "chapters" (end of their junior years and entire senior years) today in a few big chunks. I cried in a whole bunch of different places. When my mom got home from work, I told her how much she means to me. I tell her often that I love her, but I told her how lucky I was to have parents like my mom and dad. They never beat me, stole from me, and were always able to provide more than enough for me. I always new that my parents cared a lot about me and was always incredibly appreciative of what they gave me, but I think after reading the Freedom Diaries and doing my observations, I am realizing that I should not just be appreciative....
The stories of the 150 students of Erin Gruwell really opened a lot up to me. Especially when I watch one of my mentor's classes in particular. I know they are coming from welfare homes, abusive situations, and half of them don't even come because they have been arrested.
After reading the diaries, I am supposed to come up with a presentation about how arts integration could have helped these students. I have a good start that explains how arts integration is good for students that are hard to reach by other methods, and content-specific, how a arts-approach raises low scores significantly in history. I also know that Erin Gruwell has been criticized for having an unrealistic approach to her teaching, and I think arts integration (which she did do a few times with success) is another positive approach.
Anyway, I just can't get these stories..these voices...out of my head. I keep hearing them echoing and remembering every last detail of some of the stories.
If you have only seen the movie, go read the book. It is simply amazing.

No comments: